The National Center for Research in Geography Education (NCRGE) is a research consortium committed to the advancement of basic and applied research in geography education at all levels. NCRGE’s mission is to coordinate, support, and build capacity for research in geography education through broad-based partnerships with researchers, universities and organizations in the U.S. and abroad.
NCRGE will pursue its mission through a variety of activities and programs, including:
- Seeking external funding for large-scale research on topics of significant importance to geography education.
- Identifying the expertise needed and available to pursue research in particular areas.
- Building coalitions and collaborations between geographers and educational researchers in other disciplines.
- Forming research partnerships between universities.
- Sponsoring research conferences and workshops.
- Publishing resources to assist and train geography education researchers.
- Establishing an open access clearinghouse to share research findings from NCRGE and NCGRE-supported projects.
- Issuing independent recommendations for further research needed to improve the quality of geography teaching and learning.
- Facilitating student and faculty exchanges, including international scholar exchanges, within the consortium and among its partners.